A RESIDENTIAL subdivision proposed for Hobart’s eastern shore which was recommended for approval by council staff has been refused by elected members.
At Monday night’s Clarence City Council meeting, the development application for a 47-lot subdivision by the Royal Hobart Golf Club at their Seven Mile Beach property was refused.
Club president Colin Buxton previously said the club was looking to implement a masterplan to overhaul the ageing course and the residential subdivision would help fund this.
Clarence Mayor Doug Chipman said there had been concerns raised by local residents about the impact of traffic and the water table levels.
“There was concern about the subdivision being serviced by Lewis Ave through the village, particularly now Grueber Ave is open and there is access to the airport through Seven Mile Beach,” Ald Chipman said.
“It was thought it would be better if the subdivision was serviced via Regal Court, straight onto Seven Mile Beach Road.”
Also at last night’s meeting, the proponents of a multimillion-dollar development at Kangaroo Bay were granted an extension to lodge a development application so further consultation can be done.
The council authorised the general manager to write to Hunter Developments to extend the preferred development agreement until March 30 next year.
Last year, the council granted Hunter Developments preferred developer status for the project at the boulevard site.
It is the second phase of the development at Kangaroo Bay, with a multimillion-dollar mixed residential and retail precinct proposed.
The same developers are also behind the $50 million Kangaroo Bay Hotel on the wharf side of the precinct.